Best 5 UML Diagram Tools: Generate UML Diagrams Effortlessly
What is a UML Diagram?
A UML diagram is the graphical representation of a system that is unified or simplified into several use-case scenarios with the actors performing each of them, the relationship between the actors and the tasks, the sequence through which the events/tasks are performed, and more.
When the entire system or work process is represented graphically through a UML diagram, it becomes easier to understand the whole process, the flow, classifications of the events and how one event is related to the other, the actors that are responsible in performing the tasks and their roles for each of them. That is why the current industries, mainly in the software industries UML diagrams, are vastly used to understand the entire software development life cycle (SDLC model). Before planning to launch a new software into the market, the management team along with the software developers, test engineers, and the marketing team analyze several case studies with the help of UML diagrams and decide upon when and how to launch the product.
Top 5 UML Diagram Tools
1. yUML (https://yuml.me/)
yUML allows you to create simple yet powerful UML diagrams to explain the use cases in any scenario. It also allows you to keep all the private data within your server itself as you can host the entire project using the local servers.
- Online diagramming tool that can be used and accessed from any places.
- Run on your own hosting using your own server.
- Draw UML diagrams with code.
A free version of the software is available with limited features. The EDU plan is available at £189 per month whereas the sweet plan is £4.70 per month. You can purchase the software itself along with the source code and generate unlimited UML diagrams.
2. Visual Paradigm (https://www.visual-paradigm.com/)
Visual Paradigm is mainly used to create UML diagrams that represent use cases with objects related to them. When analyzing a sequence, or multiple sequences forming an entire project, we can use this tool to understand which object is related to which event, and the relationship between the objects and the events. Also, we can identify the interconnection between the events.
- Reliable and fast.
- Easy User Interface.
- Drag and drop functionalities.
- Most suitable for UML, SysML, ERD, DFD, and SoaML diagrams.
There are perpetual and subscription pricing plans available.
3. Lucidchart (https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/)
Lucidchart offers team collaboration in a seamless environment, where one can access a collection of in-built templates to create diagrams. You can use this software as a UML diagram maker and simplify complex modeling into small parts of simple diagrammatic solutions.
- Supports Teamwork
- Seamless collaboration
- In-built templates
The software is available to use for free with limited features and functionalities whereas the paid versions start with $7.95 per individual user.
4. Creately (https://creately.com/)
Creately provides a lot of functionalities and features for individuals and to those working as a team. It can help you to visualize your UML diagrams with its inbuilt templates and shapes.
- Establishing a teamwork environment.
- Drag and drop features.
- Thousands of ready-made templates.
- Easy user interface.
A free plan is available with basic features. The paid plan starts at $4 per month for a single user.
5. EdrawMax (https://www.edrawsoft.com/edraw-max/)
EdrawMax is not only a UML diagram maker but all-in-one diagramming software that satisfies almost all sorts of requirements of any industry. The best part of Edraw Max is that the tool can generate even the visiting cards, brochures, leaflets, banners, logos, letterheads of your company. And when it comes to complex drawings then the tool can be used to represent anything graphically such as the highly complex engineering drawings, flowcharts, mind maps, UML diagrams, building floor plans, marketing, and business plans, org charts, Gantt charts, and a lot more.
- All-in-one software catering to the diagramming news across all the industries.
- Cross-platform software that runs on Windows, macOS And Linux.
- Pre-made templates for almost all types of diagrams and charts.
- Easy integration with Visio.
- Export diagrams as an image (PNG, JPG), PDF file, SVG file, MS Office file, etc.
- MS Office-like interface to give you a smooth experience.
A free 14-day trial is available.
Select a Suitable UML Diagram Tool
Be it any software, especially when it is any UML diagram tool, you need to consider a few points before making a purchase.
- Check with the features and understand if the software can meet your requirements.
- Check out the pricing and choose the best plan that suits you. While comparing the plans, also check and compare with the other tools that offer similar features.
- Try to find out the software that provides more features, more options, and more functionalities with similar pricing. It may help you in the long run, if your diagramming requirement changes or increases.
- If you have a team, then try to select the tool that offers a teamwork environment.