6 Popular PERT Chart Makers for Project Management
What is a PERT Chart?
PERT stands for Program Evaluation Review Technique which is the method used in a Project Management analysis where the entire project is divided into multiple events. The events are connected with tasks applied, forming a network of parallel and serial events to represent the whole project. This PERT analysis can be expressed through diagrams, or flowcharts, known as PERT Charts or PERT diagrams.
Where to Use a PERT Chart?
When there is a complex project with multiple chains of events, we need to analyze the connections between each event, keep track of the time required to complete each event, and understand the entire workflow model of the project. We should introduce a PERT Chart analysis. The PERT Chart analysis was first taken place in the 1950s when the US Navy implemented the same in Polaris Nuclear Submarine Project. Even in the current days, PERT Chart analysis plays a significant role when it comes to accurate analysis of work with time in cases of complex projects.
There are many diagramming software tools available in the industry which allows you to make PERT Charts as per the requirements. Some of the tools are available online for free, and some are the paid ones. They have distinct features to discuss. Let us see the six most popular PERT chart makers which help in project management.
6 Excellent PERT Chart Makers in the Market
1. Lucidchart (https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/)
This application is based on online platforms that can help you create professional diagrams, flowcharts, Gantt charts, engineering drawings, relational diagrams, org charts, and many more. Multiple users can log in to the software from various places, work as a team, to draw, edit, and share the output with each other and also to any other platform.
- As it is a web-based software, you won’t have to be dependent on any third-party upgradations. The software will automatically upgrade itself with new web-forms.
- Teamwork is possible using this software.
The software is available to use for free with limited features and functionalities whereas the paid versions start with $7.95 per individual user.
2. Visual Paradigm (https://www.visual-paradigm.com/)
This tool is mainly used in software development process management as you can draw UML diagrams, SysML diagrams, and business process modeling diagrams.
- Available to be downloaded on MAC, Windows, and cloud-based SAAS environment.
- Strong documentation and live online free training.
- Online technical support.
There are perpetual and subscription pricing plans available.
3. SmartDraw (https://www.smartdraw.com/)
This software is an all-in-one diagramming tool and one of the most popular MS-Visio alternatives. This tool can run on platforms such as Windows and online.
- Quick-start PERT Chart templates.
- Teamwork and sharing.
- The diagrams can be exported to any online platform including Google Docs, Google Sheets
For a single user, it is available at $297; for a team of 5 users and more, it is available at $595.
4. Creately (https://creately.com/)
This awesome diagramming tool is used for creating flowcharts, industrial diagrams, org charts, mind maps, engineering diagrams, and more.
- Thousands of in-built templates are available
- Very easy interface with drag-and-drop functionalities and one-click diagramming
- Smart shapes, text to shapes, and smart connectors are available.
- Multiple themes are available with color palette
The software is available for free with limited features and functionalities.
5. ConceptDraw (https://www.conceptdraw.com/)
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM is a user-friendly diagramming tool that have a similar interface to MS Office products. It works both on macOS and Windows. Besides, ConceptDraw provides a set of powerful and comprehensive drawing tools.
- Provides ultimate solutions to industries looking for conceptual drawings.
- Drag and drop interface with hundreds of in-built templates to start working with.
- Compatible with MS Visio.
- Teamwork can be done with the ease of accessibility through a cross-platform environment.
They have a free trial facility with limited features. The PRO plan costs a one-time investment of $199.
6. EdrawMax (https://www.edrawsoft.com/edraw-max/)
EdrawMax is an all-in-one diagramming tool serving all purposes for a variety of sectors, which starts from flowcharts, org charts, UML diagrams, building floor plans, PERT chart, marketing plans, business project plans, complex industrial and engineering drawings, to even creating logos, banners, visiting cards, infographics, visiting cards, letterheads. You can use this software for everything. It’s a blessing when it comes to diagramming needs for your business.
- All-in-one software catering to the diagramming news across all the industries.
- Cross-platform software that runs on Windows, macOS And Linux.
- Has templates for almost all types of diagrams and charts.
- Easy integration with Visio.
- Export diagrams as an image (PNG, JPG), PDF file, SVG file, MS Office file, etc.
- MS Office-like interface to give you a smooth experience.
A free 14-day trial is available.
How to Choose a Suitable PERT Chart Maker?
When choosing a PERT chart maker, you can consider the following points:
- Whether the software serves the purpose you are looking for?
- Is there any free trial available for the software so that you can have a look before you purchase?
- Whether the software allows creating any other diagrams? It is better to have all-in-one software.