6 Best Value Stream Mapping (VSM) Software
Value Stream Mapping (VSM) is a diagrammatic representation of the workflow that your organization follows to achieve a particular goal. A VSM is mostly used to identify the real cause of the issue that might be responsible for the flaws of your production process, and hindering your progress. For instance, if you are into manufacturing garments, a well-drawn VSM using an efficient tool helps you assess the value of each step, and avoid in which step your time is being wasted due to unnecessary activities.
Since VSMs play an essential role in identifying the value, it is imperative to have an efficient mapping tool that is not only easy to use, and it also offers a plethora of other functions to ease your work.
That said, listed below are 6 Value Stream Mapping software that you can try your hands on, and pick the one that best suits your needs:
Best in the list, EdrawMax is one of the most efficient and easy-to-use value stream mapping applications present in the market today. Available for every major platform and with continuous updates, creating diagrams for almost all types of industries becomes extremely easy with EdrawMax.
- Has templates for almost all types of diagrams and charts;
- Easy integration with Visio;
- Export diagrams as an image (PNG, JPG), PDF file, SVG file, MS Office file, etc. ;
- MS Office-like interface to give you a smooth experience.
As one of the most used applications, Lucidchart, offers a trusted web-based platform to create various charts, diagrams, and other vector-based illustrations. The app has templates for almost all types of fields, including flowcharts, ER diagrams, wireframes, and value stream maps.
- Offers team collaboration options;
- Allows SSO (Single Sign-On) authentication;
- Allows Microsoft Visio integration.
3. Atlassian (https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence)
A complete team management software, the product of which is Confluence that allows you to create value stream maps and other charts with the help of plug-ins like draw.io, Gliffy, etc. When talking about Atlassian Confluence, it enables you to create a practically unlimited number of spaces that can be populated with pages and secured with permissions for restricted accessibility.
- Offers easy work organization;
- Has templates to start with;
- Allows feedback and mentioning.
4. SmartDraw (https://www.smartdraw.com/)
SmartDraw is a full-fledged diagramming tool that can also be used as a VSM software, regardless of the nature of your work. The app is available as both online and desktop versions, where the former can be accessed from the web browser, while the latter needs to be installed on your PC before you can begin drawing your value stream maps.
- Integration with Google Maps, MS Office, etc.;
- Automatically manages object alignments and spacing;
- Compatible with Visio.
5. Creately (https://creately.com/)
Another online diagramming tool to help you create various illustrations for all needs. Creately can be quite effective while working with a team. Offering real-time collaboration, Creately allows all your team members to work on the same diagram simultaneously, thus saving a lot of time that would be wasted otherwise.
- Has more than 1000 templates to start your work with;
- Add comments and create threaded discussions while working from geographically dispersed locations;
- Export the final projects in your preferred format.
6. Visual Paradigm (https://www.visual-paradigm.com/)
With all the features and options, Visual Paradigm can be considered a diagramming giant. The app, like most of its competitors, is available as both web and desktop variants. However, when talking about the latter, it supports Windows, Linux, and Mac platforms. Learning Visual Paradigm is fairly simple as well due to all the interactive product tours and video tutorials available right on the official website itself.
- Can be helpful in various software designing processes like SysML, ERD, DFD, etc.;
- Can generate programming and database codes;
- Offers team collaborations on the online edition.
After going through all the above sections, the question shouldn't be hard to answer. Any tool that is easy to use has multiple templates, offers free upgrades is your best bet for value stream mapping software. With that said, only one app from the above list, EdrawMax covers the entire spectrum and is definitely worth trying.
All-in-One Diagram Software
- Superior file compatibility: Import and export drawings to various file formats, such as Visio
- Cross-platform supported (Windows, Mac, Linux, Web)