How to Draw a Rack Diagram in Excel
Edraw Content Team
Do You Want to Make Your Rack Diagram?
EdrawMax specializes in diagramming and visualizing. Learn from this article to know everything about how to make a rack diagram in Excel and an easier way. Just try it free now!
A rack diagram is a graphical framework representing components of a computer rack. It is used to organize the components and document the computer equipment configuration visually. These include electronic equipment like routers, servers, Raid, switch equipment, hard disk drives, UPS, modems, etc. Racks diagrams are used in IT and computer networking. Thus, IT professionals and network architects frequently make rack diagrams in Excel.
Microsoft Excel is the standard and most popular software for spreadsheets. It is often a crucial tool for data entry, financial forecasting and budgeting. Businesses across the globe have adopted Excel because of its helpful features and reputation for instant calculations, data processing, etc. However, like any other software, Excel isn't perfect. It has some disadvantages, such as limited visual resources for graphs and charts. Today, we will introduce you to the best Excel alternative for rack diagrams, EdrawMax. But before that, here's a guide to help you draw rack diagrams in Excel.
1. How to Draw a Rack Diagram in Excel
A rack diagram helps you plan, design and organize electronic equipment in a rack in an optimal manner. Excel allows you to turn data into graphs and charts to create several rack drawings and elevations in Excel. Follow these steps to create a rack diagram Excel:
- Open MS Excel:
- Determine the Purpose:
- Create Your Rack Diagram :
- Save the File:
To create a rack diagram in Excel, launch MS Excel on your desktop and select a blank page.
Before you start drawing a rack diagram excel, first determine the purpose and plan the equipment. List each component, its measurements and its placement in the rack.
Excel has basic symbols for commonly used components such as servers, routers, patch panels, standard rack cabinets, etc. Create the rack by adding the symbols and arranging them accordingly. Place the equipment on the racks where it will fit and continue rearranging until you reach the desired organization. Allocate space for cables, connectors and raceways.
Once your rack Excel diagram is complete, click on the File tab and "Save" to store your file. Excel is best suited for network architects and industry professionals. If you want a more straightforward tool, check out EdrawMax below!
- Open Excel;
- Determine the Purpose;
- Create Your Rack Diagram;
- Save the File;
2. How to Draw a Rack Diagram in EdrawMax
Now that you have seen the method to draw a Rack Diagram in Excel, let us show you the easiest way of creating a similar rack diagram in EdrawMax.
Step1 Open EdrawMax & Login
The very first step that you need to follow is to install EdrawMax in your system. Go to EdrawMax Download and download the rack diagram software depending upon your operating system. If you need remote collaboration with your office team, head to EdrawMax Online and log in using your registered email address.
Step2 Select a Template
On the left side of the window, click on "Network" and select Network again. Now, click on the Rack Diagram option. You will get all the available server rack diagram templates. Click on any template that you find suitable to your requirements.
Step3 Create From Scratch
From the EdrawMax homepage, you will find the '+' sign that takes you right to the canvas board, from where you can start designing the rack diagram from scratch. Use your technical expertise and the tools offered by EdrawMax to create the rack diagram.
Step4 Add Components
Edraw offers various tools and features to create rack diagram structures. You will find default rack diagram stencils on the left side of the screen. Go to Symbols Tab>Predefined Libraries>Network Diagram. Now, select Rack Equipment to add more symbols. This will give you different types of symbols to add to your symbol library. You can add other components after assembling the rack diagram and edit them. Use the formatting pane on the right side of the screen to edit font, color, size, etc.
Step5 Export & Share
Once you are satisfied with your rack diagram, you can export it into multiple formats, like JPEG, JPG, PNG, PDF, and other Microsoft formats, like MS Word, MS Excel, PPTX, etc. Just back to the main menu, and find "Export" button, You can also share the rack diagram on different social media platforms, like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. Moreover, you can print your rack diagram for showing with others.
Now you know how to create a rack diagram in Edraw and Excel. But which software tool is more suitable? Well, continue reading to find out! If you are still confused about how to draw a rack diagram in EdrawMax, just check the video below.
3. EdrawMax vs. Excel
Now that you have gone through how to draw rack diagram in Excel and in EdrawMax, let's find out which one is the better option. Here is a comprehensive comparison of MS Excel and EdrawMax:
- One of the most prominent features of Excel is the ability to enter large amounts of data into well-organized spreadsheets, making it easier to present and analyze data. EdrawMax is primarily a drawing tool, so data collection and organization are not its strongest suit. It does offer charts and tables to organize and present data visually.
- Excel allows users to create graphs and other visual data representations, but you cannot use it for other diagrams and creative content such as brochures, floor plans, mind maps, etc. Whereas, EdrawMax is a one-stop-shop for all visual diagrams, including charts, graphs, network diagrams, brochures, banners, and more. You can create 280 different types of visual content on EdrawMax.
- While anyone can start using Excel and start filling in tables, enjoying the full benefit of its features requires a lot of patience and practice. EdrawMax is much easier to use as it offers a user-friendly interface with quick navigation. EdrawMax has a quick learning curve, so anyone can use it to create a wide range of diagrams.
- Creating diagrams, graphs and charts in excel are also a bit frustrating as it offers limited resources. EdrawMax has thousands of templates, 50,000 customizable vector-enabled symbols, advanced tools and other resources to allow users to create whatever they want quickly and easily.
- As part of Microsoft's Office suite, Excel works with almost every other piece of software in Office. You can easily add excel spreadsheets to Word documents and PowerPoint presentations to create more visually dynamic reports or presentations. EdrawMax is also compatible with the Microsoft Office suite. You can import Microsoft Office files to EdrawMax and vice versa.
EdrawMax includes a large number of symbol libraries. You may quickly build any type of diagram with over 26,000 vector-enabled symbols. If you can't locate the symbols you need, you can easily import some images/icons or build your own shape and save it as a symbol for later use. Simply go to the 'Symbols' part of EdrawMax and select the 'Predefined Symbol' section from the top toolbar. Hundreds of symbol categories are accessible for you to utilize and incorporate into your rack diagram.
Moreover, EdrawMax features a large library of templates. We have more than 25 million registered users who have produced thorough Templates Community for each design. Simply go to the left panel's template section and type any template you're looking for into the search bar. It will bring up hundreds of pre-built templates that you may utilize right away to meet your needs.
Draw a Rack Diagram in Excel:
Requires expensive MS office subscription
Excel does not have pre-built rack diagram templates
Limited symbols and resources for diagrams
Only available for Mac and Windows
Draw a Rack Diagram in EdrawMax:
Professional, customizable built-in templates with a free trial
Extensive symbol library with thousands of symbols
Easy to use software with a quick learning curve
Cross-platform accessibility for Mac, Windows and Linux
4. Free Rack Diagram Software
If you're looking for free rack diagram software, EdrawMax is the one. Its vector enabled symbols, and customizable professional templates allow you to create a detailed rack diagram within minutes. Here are some of the best features of EdrawMax:
- You do not need a third-party rack diagram excel template download. Edraw will give you premade, high-quality templates from its robust templates community.
- With the help of this free rack diagram software, you can create many diagrams for business, personal and educational needs.
- EdrawMax comes with a free online version and has a free trial period for all desktop users.
- EdrawMax is cloud-based software, so it provides enhanced collaboration for teams to create, edit and share files simultaneously from different operating systems. It also has a live mode and presentation feature for team collaboration.
- Enterprise-level SSL data security will keep all your files safe, secure and protected on the cloud. So, you do not have to worry about professional and confidential business data.
- Access diagrams anywhere and anytime online, as EdrawMax gives you 1 GB of personal cloud storage space and dropbox integration.
5. Final Thoughts
The rack diagram is an elevation drawing representing a rack system. This technical network diagram is not easy to make. Therefore, you need professional software to create it. While Excel may seem like a reasonable solution, it is certainly not the best option for drawing a rack diagram.
Unlike Excel, where you have to pay for every user in your organization, EdrawMax provides affordable options for all the businesses and organizations that create diagrams regularly. Head to the download option and treat yourself to the best rack diagram today. If you want a safe, reliable, and affordable drawing tool, download EdrawMax and try it out for yourself!
AWS Diagram Complete Guide
Check this complete guide to know everything about the rack diagram, like rack diagram types, rack diagram symbols, and how to make a rack diagram.