UML Package Diagram - Create UML Package Diagrams
The purpose of UML Package Diagrams is to organize elements into groups to provide a better structure for a system model and illustrate the dependencies between different packages of this system. This article will mainly focus on two parts:
- Basic Knowledge of UML Package Diagram
- How to Create a UML Package Diagram
Basic Knowledge of UML Package Diagram
A UML Collaboration diagram, can show both structure and dependencies between sub-systems or modules in a system.
Here are the main features of UML Package Diagram：
- Elements of a package are all package-able. All elements contained in a package will be removed from a system if the package is removed.
- Package itself can also been as a package-able element, so a package could also be a member of other packages.
- A package can import one member of other packages or all the members of other packages. Package can also be merged with other packages.
Shapes and Symbols of UML Package Diagram:
- A package is represented by a rectangle with a small tab on the left side of the top of the rectangle. If the members of the package are not inside the package, then place the name of the package inside.
- When the members of the package shown within the package, the name of the package should be placed in the tab on the top.
- Members of the package can be shown placed of the package connected by arrows that indicate dependency.
How to Create a UML Package Diagram
Following is a step by step tutorial about how to create a UML Package diagram with a professional UML Diagramming Tool. With the help of this powerful UML Diagramming Tool, you will find it not difficult at all to create a UML package diagram at all. Its various built-in shapes and convenient smart connectors enables you to get started.
Edraw Max: a swiss knife for all your diagramming need
- Effortlessly create over 280 types of diagrams.
- Provide various templates & symbols to match your needs.
- Drag and drop interface and easy to use
- Customize every detail by using smart and dynamic toolkits.
- Compatible with a variety of file formats, such as MS Office, Visio, PDF, etc.
- Feel free to export, print and share your diagrams.
1: Open a UML Package Template for Creating UML Package Diagrams
Go to File menu > New > Software > UML Model Diagram > UML Package Diagram, and then double click the icon to open the template then customize your own, or double click click on UML Model Diagram to open a new drawing page for your UML Package Diagram.
2: Add UML Package Diagram Shapes
Select assets in the left panel and drag-and-drop them into the canvas. Rulers and connecting dots will automatically appear on the shapes; all you need to do is to adjust the position, and Edraw will tell you whether it is in the right position or not. As one of the greatest features of this UML diagramming tool, it will greatly increase your efficiency.
3: Connect Shapes for UML Collaboration Diagram
Use arrows to connect the shapes. Again, the connection dots and rulers will help you find the right place to connect shapes. Make sure your UML Package Diagram is logical.
4: Add Contents for UML Package Diagram
Double click the shape and type in the text. The size, color, and position of the shapes are editable as well. This is the final step of constructing your UML collaboration diagram. Make sure it is logical and easy to follow.
5: Save or Export UML Package Diagram
Under the "File" tab, hit "Save" to save your UML Package diagram as the default format .eddx, or click on "Save as" under "File" tab to save as other formats.
Click "Export & Send" under "File" tab to export the UML Package diagram to other formats, including PowerPoint, JPG, PDF and so on.
Here are more templates for UML Package Diagram. All templates on Edraw are available for free download and customize.