Examples for Algorithm Flowcharts
Rules of Drawing Flowcharts for Algorithms
There are some basic shapes and boxes included in flowcharts that are used in the structure of explaining the steps of algorithms. Knowing how to use them while drawing flowcharts is crucial. Here are some rules that should be known:
- All boxes of flowcharts are connected with arrows to show the logical connection between them.
- Flowcharts will flow from top to bottom.
- All flowcharts start with a Start Box and end with a Terminal Box.
Examples of Flowcharts for Algorithms
Example 1: Determine and Output Whether Number N is Even or Odd
- Step 1: Read number N.
- Step 2: Set remainder as N modulo 2.
- Step 3: If the remainder is equal to 0 then number N is even, else number N is odd.
- Step 4: Print output.
Example 2: Calculate the Interest of a Bank Deposit
- Step 1: Read amount.
- Step 2: Read years.
- Step 3: Read rate.
- Step 4: Calculate the interest with the formula "Interest=Amount*Years*Rate/100.
- Step 5: Print interest.
Example 3: Determine Whether a Temperature is Below or Above the Freezing Point
- Step 1: Input temperature.
- Step 2: If it is less than 32, then print "below freezing point", otherwise print "above freezing point".
Example 4: Determine Whether A Student Passed the Exam or Not
- Step 1: Input grades of 4 courses M1, M2, M3 and M4.
- Step 2: Calculate the average grade with the formula "Grade=(M1+M2+M3+M4)/4".
- Step 3: If the average grade is less than 60, print "FAIL", else print "PASS".
How to Create an Algorithm Flowchart?
EdrawMax: a swiss knife for all your diagramming need
- Effortlessly create over 280 types of diagrams.
- Provide various templates & symbols to match your needs.
- Drag and drop interface and easy to use.
- Customize every detail by using smart and dynamic toolkits.
- Compatible with a variety of file formats, such as MS Office, Visio, PDF, etc.
- Feel free to export, print, and share your diagrams.
First, you have to download a flowchart software. After installing a flowchart maker, you can sign up for an account and log in with your account. And the steps of creating algorithms flowcharts are described below:
- Select an appropriate template.
- Customize the template according to your needs.
- Add content to the template.
- Export your algorithm flowchart to the file format that you want.
Tips for Creating Algorithm Flowcharts
1. Adding Shapes in Flowcharts
While drawing flowcharts with Edraw flowchart maker, shapes can be simply dragged and dropped beside the box in any direction (right, left, up or below) with the help of a mouse, and they will be connected by arrows automatically. As shown in this picture:
Click the icon on the side of the box; shapes will be added automatically in any direction needed. Types of shapes can be modified by clicking on the icon at the top right corner and choosing the shape required. As shown in the picture below:
2. Themes and Colors
Under the "Layout" menu, the buttons shown in the picture can help with the theme and the color matching of your flowcharts. If your time is limited or cannot come up with the right color matching, why not just pick one from the various color combinations prepared by our professional designers?
A flowchart is a better way of presenting the steps of solving a problem and the logical concerned system described in an algorithm. It provides a more effective analysis of the problem.