Examples for Algorithm Flowcharts
Flowcharts are diagrams that visually present the process of solving problems. The steps of creating algorithms flowcharts are described below. On this page you will find some flowchart examples explaining the algorithms.
Rules of Drawing Flowcharts for Algorithms
There are some basic shapes and boxes included in flowcharts that are used in the structure of explaining steps of algorithms. Knowing how to use them while drawing flowcharts is crucial. Here are some rules that should be known:
- All boxes of flowcharts are connected with arrows to show the logical connection between them,
- Flowcharts will flow from top to bottom,
- All flowcharts start with a Start Box and end with a Terminal Box,
Examples of Flowcharts for Algorithms
These examples will help you get a better understanding of flowchart techniques.
Example 1: Calculate the Interest of a Bank Deposit
- Step 1: Read amount,
- Step 2: Read years,
- Step 3: Read rate,
- Step 4: Calculate the interest with formula "Interest=Amount*Years*Rate/100
- Step 5: Print interest,
Example 2: Determine and Output Whether Number N is Even or Odd
- Step 1: Read number N,
- Step 2: Set remainder as N modulo 2,
- Step 3: If remainder is equal to 0 then number N is even, else number N is odd,
- Step 4: Print output.
Example 3: Determine Whether a Temperature is Below or Above the Freezing Point
- Step 1: Input temperature,
- Step 2: If it is less than 32, then print "below freezing point", otherwise print "above freezing point"
Example 4: Determine Whether A Student Passed the Exam or Not:
- Step 1: Input grades of 4 courses M1, M2, M3 and M4,
- Step 2: Calculate the average grade with formula "Grade=(M1+M2+M3+M4)/4"
- Step 3: If the average grade is less than 60, print "FAIL", else print "PASS".
How to Create a Algorithm Flowchart?
First of all, you have to download a flowchart software. After installing a flowchart maker, you can sign up an account and log in with your account.
Edraw Max - an All-in-One Diagram Software
- Effortlessly create over 260 types of diagrams.
- Provide various templates & symbols to match your needs.
- Drag and drop interface and easy to use
- Customize every detail by using smart and dynamic toolkits
- Compatible with a variety of file formats, such as MS Office, Visio, PDF, etc.
- Feel free to export, print and share your diagrams
Follow the steps below:
- Select an appropriate template.
- Customize the template according to your needs.
- Add content to the template.
- Export your algorithm flowchart to the file format that you want.
Tips for Creating Algorithm Flowcharts
1. Adding Shapes in Flowcharts:
While drawing flowcharts with Edraw flowchart maker, shapes can be simply dragged and dropped beside the box at any direction (right, left, up or below) with the help of mouse, and they will be connected by arrows automatically.
As shown in this picture:
Click the icon on the side of the box, shapes will be added automatically at any direction needed. Types of shapes can be modified by clicking on the icon at the top right corner and choosing the shape needed.
As shown in the picture below:
2. Themes and Colors:
Under the "Layout" menu, the two buttons shown in the picture can help with the theme and the color matching of your flowcharts. If your time is limited or simply cannot come up with the right color matching, why not just pick one from the various color combinations prepared by our professional designers?
Flowchart is a better way of presenting the steps of solving a problem and the concerned logical system that described in an algorithm. It provides a more effective analysis of the problem.