Make a Fishbone Diagram
What's a fishbone diagram?
Fishbone Diagram, is composed of a single effect and multiple causes. The head of the fishbone represents the problem statement, and the body of the fishbone represents multiple causes that contribute to the overall effect or problem.
Fishbone diagrams are often used in project planning sessions to identify all of the components, both man and machine, that go into any workflow process. Once these components are identified, it's a lot easier to look at each one and see where problems or inefficiencies are creeping into the process.
Why fishbone diagram is important?
1. It encourages creativity through a brainstorming process.
2. It is useful in brainstorming sessions to focus conversation.
3. It provides a visual image of the problem and potential categories of causes.
4. It allows various categories of causes to be explored and uncovers bottlenecks in your processes.
Learn the using fishbone diagrams to improve working efficiency here.
Tips to Make an Effective Fishbone Diagram
- Use an automatic diagram software instead of hand drawing to save time and energy.
- See some examples before drawing. Understanding fishbone diagram is best achieved by studying examples.
- Learn from others. Seek their help.
- Involve as many related people as possible. Collect their ideas and advice.
- Brainstorm potential causes by asking why questions. This helps to reveal causes that are not immediately obvious.
- Classify the causes into different categories logically so that you can present them in a more structured way.
- Leave enough space between primary causes since you may need to add many secondary, thirdly level or even more causes.
How to Make a Fishbone Diagram?
Start with the Exact Template
In Edraw, the Fishbone Diagram Template helps you easily create fishbone diagrams using massive built-in symbols. The easiest way to draw a fishbone diagram is to edit an existing one, or edit a template. Double click the template from Business Diagram Category on the starting page to enter the drawing page. You will discover abundant symbols and easy-to-use tools available for fishbone diagrams.
Use Standard Built-in Symbols
Edraw includes many fishbone diagram symbols created to best meet users' different drawing requirements. Fishbone symbols like fish frame, fishbone, thick mainframe, effect, category, rectangle category, etc., are available in Edraw software. Go to Fishbone Diagram Symbols page to have a general knowledge about the symbols.
Basic Steps to Create Fishbone Diagram:
1. On the File menu, point to New, point to Business Diagram, and double click Fishbone template. A new drawing page will open.
2. Go to the library pane on the left of the canvas. From Cause and Effect Diagram, drag fishbone shape onto the canvas.
3. Drag a Category 1 or Category 2 shape or rectangle category shape, etc., onto the drawing page and position it so that the arrowhead is touching the fishbone shape.
To label a category, double click the "Text" and then type your words.
- To delete a category, select the shape and then press the DELETE key
4. To represent major causes contributing to the categories, drag Primary cause shapes onto the drawing page and snap the arrowheads to category lines.
Print: When a fishbone diagram is done, it's easy to print and share with more people. On the file menu, point to Print to set for print options. You can change settings with fewer clicks and see the print preview in real time.
Export: Edraw offers support for exporting your diagram to various formats, including Microsoft Office, PDF, and many other graphic formats. On the File menu, point to Export & Send for Export options.
More Features that Make Edraw the Best Choice
- Edraw has built in a set of nice looking themes with advanced effects. It's easy to change the whole diagram by changing the active theme with just a few clicks. You don't have to be professional in designing.
- All Edraw documents are vector graphic files with high clarity and available for reviewing and modifying.
- A set of smart tools are provided for automatic formatting. You can easily arrange, rotate, group and align objects.
- Edraw offers various customization options, using which you can adjust line width, line color, line style, font size, font style, text color, and much more.
- Easy to add photos, images and edit text fields.