UML Class Diagram - Create UML Class Diagrams
This article will cover two parts:
- Introduction of UML Class Diagram
- How to Create a UML Class Diagram
Introduction of UML Class Diagram
UML class diagram, a type of static structure diagram, is composed of classes, interfaces, associations, collaborations and constraints. Generally, the UML class diagram is used for visualizing, describing and documenting various aspects of an application but also for constructing executable code of the software application.
Following is a step by step tutorial about how to create UML diagram with a professional UML Diagramming Tool.
How to Create a UML Class Diagram
With the help of this UML Diagramming Tool, it's easier than ever to create a UML class diagram, its rich pre-made shapes and smart connectors in the library enables you to get started quickly.
Edraw Max: a swiss knife for all your diagramming need
- Effortlessly create over 280 types of diagrams.
- Provide various templates & symbols to match your needs.
- Drag and drop interface and easy to use
- Customize every detail by using smart and dynamic toolkits.
- Compatible with a variety of file formats, such as MS Office, Visio, PDF, etc.
- Feel free to export, print and share your diagrams.
Step One: open a UML Diagram Template for creating UML class diagrams
Go to File menu > New > Software, and then double click the icon of UML Model Diagram.
Step Two: add UML class diagram shapes
Drag and drop shapes from the left libraries.
Step Three: connect UML class diagram shapes
Click Connector under Home tab, and select a kind of connector, then rest the pointer over a connection point of the shape you want to connect.
Tips: you can also lay out UML class diagram shapes as you like:
- Use the auto alignment tool under Home tab to align shapes. When moving a shape, the dynamic guidelines show to help you align it with the nearby shapes.
- To space shapes evenly, click Distribute in Arrange group under Home tab.
- To locate the whole diagram in the center, click Center in the Arrange group under Home tab.
Step Four: add UML class diagram contents
Double click a shape to type in text. It is also available for you to customize the size, color and alignment.
Step Five: save or export UML class diagram
Hit Save on File tab to save as the default format .eddx, or choose Save as on File tab to save as other formats.
Note: you can also choose to save in local files or save in personal or Team Cloud.
Click Export & Send under File to export the UML class diagram to other formats including PowerPoint, JPG, PDF and so on.
Here are some UML diagram examples for your reference.