An infographic is a form of visual communication meant to capture attention and enhance comprehension. Refer to this page to have a basic understanding about infographics.
Infographic Brief Introduction
The word "infographic" is a clipped compound of of "information" and "graphic". An infographic is a graphic visual representation of information, data or knowledge intended to present information quickly and clearly. An infographic makes minimal use of text and can be a powerful tool for displaying data, explaining concepts, simplifying presentations, mapping relationships, showing trends and providing essential insights. They help convey data in a compact, intuitive and shareable form and have been prevalent over the internet and social media.
Uses of Infographics
An infographic makes minimal use of text and can be a powerful tool for displaying data, explaining concepts, simplifying presentations, mapping relationships, showing trends and providing essential insights. Usually, infographics are used for 【NEED REVISING】
- Illustrating data: This means taking data from surveys and making them more interesting than your average chart.
- Simplifying a complex subject: If you've got a rather complex concept, and need a way to break it down quickly and easily, infographics are the way to go.
- Making comparisons: Infographics are great at showing when two things are incredibly similar or different.
- Awareness: Whether it's related to business, politics or any other arena, you can quickly raise awareness of a brand or cause with shareable infographics.
Types of Infographics
There are many different presentations of infographics. Choose the type of infographic that avoids ambiguity and best helps the reader extract actionable information and valuable insights of the content you want to convey.
The informational infographic is widely used to illustrate facts or details about somebody or something. Starting from an informational infographic template would be a nice beginning to give an overview of topic, or communicate a new concept visually. Informational infographics often use design tricks to keep people focus on and engaged with it. The graphic may be enhanced by icons, shapes, colors and other visual elements but overall, the emphasis is on the words.
A timeline infographic visualizes a process over a period of time in chronological order. It is one of the most diverse infographic types, and is often used to portray the history of specific event, figure or movement. For advertisers and marketers, it is the most effective way of getting your word out to the audience. You can use a timeline data visualization when creating a company fact sheet for employee onboarding, marking milestone events, or to outline a step-by-step process for accomplishing a certain task.
Charts infographics visualize most data through charts, such as pie chart, bar chart, line chart, bubble chart, ring chart and icon chart etc. Combining with proper colors, shapes and symbols which may contribute for explanation and emphasis, charts infographics can illustrate data in an attractive and easily digestible way. For infographic novelists, Edraw infographic maker is recommended because all built-in charts and graphs in the program are easy to customize. It saves you tons of time than using Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator.
How to infographic describes the steps involved in achieving a certain outcome. Examples of outcomes whose process could be portrayed using a how to infographic include a product’s manufacture, an ISO certification, a professional qualification or a medical procedure. The definition of this type of infographic inherently implies that each step is usually a logical consequence of preceding ones.
The definition of this type of infographic inherently implies that each step is usually a logical consequence of preceding ones.Our how to infographics depict several different guides on how to do just about anything from saving money to losing weight.
Process infographics are similar to decision trees or flow charts, they use linnes and directional arrows to point to the next step. Examples of process infographic include assembly line manufacturing, software programming and project planning etc. Feel free to try various symbols and pick a different background color for this innovative industry workflow infographic template from Edraw. Enjoy more preset diagram templates to best match your presentation in a few minutes.
A comparison infographic that summarizes the information can make it a lot easier for readers to wrap their heads around different options. The most commonly compared points include the similarities and differences between two or more products, locations, events, actions, ideas or individuals. A culture comparison infographic as below can be useful to highlight the difference and superiority of the cultures you are introducing, or to help people pick the culture for their needs. Use colors strategically in your comparison infographic template to influence decision making,
include your own visuals, text, and data.
A resume is essential to those who are looking for jobs and attending interviews. The resume infographic is a visual presentation of an individual's basic information, education background, professional qualifications and job experiences. A resume is a marketing tool in which the content should be adapted to suit each individual job application or applications aimed at a particular industry. A well-designed resume infographic with appropriate keywords can help you stand out from other applicants.
Benefits of Using Infographics
Infographics are popular as a powerful tool for analyzing large data sets and explaining information. Let's see six of the most notable benefits of using infographics.
1. Eye-catching. Infographics combine images, colors, movement together, which naturally draw the audiences' eye.
2. Simplify complicated concepts or ideas. You can create colorful charts or graphs to highlight trends, or show a specific detail.
3. Convenient and easy for sharing. Infographics are available for sharing when using around the web. For instance, an infographic published on a website usually provides an embed code.
4. Improve SEO. A well-designed pleasing infographic can boost your site rankings, earn more likes, followers, and traffic.
5. Show your expertise. The use of graphical elements like tables, charts, graphs, pics, etc can set you up as an expert in this field and make your content trust worthy.
6. Infographics are searchable. People tend to search for images regarding the topics they concern, and search engines will prioritize infographics when picking out results.
Disadvantages of Infographics
Below are some potential disadvantages of infographics when it is used inappropriately.
1. Time consuming A good infograhic requires a lot of time for preparation. Designers have to design the graphics and layout well instead of just searching graphics and finishing it in seconds.
2. Easy to over budget Since good infographics require time and exquisite design which means allocating budget to a freelance designer and it is may not affordable for small businesses.
3. Hard to express clearly Due to paper size limitation, there is usually not enough room for paragraphs of information thus it is hard to express things clearly.
4. Not very SEO friendly It is hard for search engines to recognize infographics if it is not indexed.
Free Download Infographic Templates
Use these free infographics templates to get started quickly for creating various projects. Customize the contents, layout or background with diagram design features to make it personalized. Get inspirations in color and layout from the exquisite infographics templates below.
How to Create an Infographic
From those who don't have good drawing skills, making a nick-looking and effective infographic is not easy.
If you want to make an infographic that engages, summarizes, and informs, the following suggestions might help.
- Original design and content. Present original idea and content or present existing content in a new way.
- Do something unexpected. Surprise your audience with appropriate design or content to attract their interest and attention.
- Know your target audience. Design content that appeals to them and
use appealing colors and graphics.
- Fully understand the idea and points. Get your facts straight before including information in your infographic.
With these tips in mind, you can start creating some amazing visuals.
Professional Infographic Software
You might have come across hand-drawn infographics on campus. However, making an effective infographic is more than fancy images and catchy colors. Digital infographics are easy and convenient to save, share, print and edit for future use. Edraw infographic software is packed with plenty of templates and offer users different infographic elements in order to create a unique design. With such a low-cost and easy to use infographic maker available, it takes little time and effort to create a quality infographic.
Tips for Making Infographics
Good infographics are usually interactive and best utilized for large data sets to illustrate something sufficiently. For beginners, making your infographic interactive and popular may not be easy at the very start. However, with the following tips in mind, you’ll spare yourself a lot of wasted effort and make a really good infographic.
- Create the infographic for your target audience.
- Keep it simple and focused. Make it a streamlined and focused on a single topic.
- Present things visually with visual elements such as icons, symbols and images.
- Make your infographic easy to read and view : manageable length and size, proper font.
- Add white space to keep a balance of visual elements.
- Create a killer headline which can describe the infographic, grab the user's attention and is short enough to understand at a glance.
- Check your facts and figures and cite your sources.
From what has been stated above, you might have a basic understanding of what an infographic is, and know the common layout, usage, advantages and limitations of infographics as well as how to draw an infographic. If you hope to create an infographic for analyzing large data sets and explaining information, Edraw Infographic free trial would be a great choice!