Benefits of Using Value Stream Map in Edraw
Value stream map is a visual means to depict and improve the flow of manufacturing and production process, as well as the information that controls the flow of materials through the process.
A value stream map will take into account not only the activity of the product, but the management and information systems that support the basic process. Therefore, it is a tool that helps organizations identify and minimize waste in a process. You will gain insight into the decision making flow in addition to the process flow. The basic idea is to first map your process, then above it map the information flow that enables the process to occur.
Edraw provides you lots of value stream shapes to better draw the value stream map. Also, Edraw includes several arrangement tools to help you layout value stream shapes neatly and evenly. You can view the value stream map examples created by Edraw.
Value Stream Helps Doctors Visualize the Patient Flow
Value stream map helps to identify workflow inefficiencies - for example, time spent hunting for patient charts or tracking down a doctor for an exam room - and implement improvements. There is a kind of valule stream map called high level outline that can improve the workflow efficiency for doctors. Of course, you may edit it and create your own high level outline.
How to Create a Value Stream Map
Of course, there's more to a doctor's appointment than the above six stages - remember, we want to account for every second of the process. Therefore, your next task might be to fill in details for your current state map.
An inefficient workflow is a problem in any business. In doctors' offices, workflow inefficiencies create longer waits for patients, frustration for office staff and burnout for physicians. With the above value stream map, people may make rules and strictly obey them in order to improve the workflow efficiency.
Value Lies in the Value Stream Map
We can make some improvements without value stream maps; however, we learned that not all of our improvement activity led to bottom-line results. What was worse, our improvements did not always add value to our customer. Finally, we found out value stream maps are wonderful solution for this headache problem.
Let's see some unique features of value stream map to better understand it.
1. Instant on-line training for Lean concepts and techniques.
2. Serve as a dashboard to monitor and continuously improve the process.
3. Form a blueprint for Lean implementation to rally your team to eliminate wastes.
4. Visually see your entire process flow using the language of Lean to learn to see and eliminate wastes.
5. Display the interaction between multiple functions within the manufacturing process as well as ancillary functions such as production planning, scheduling, and materials management, etc.
6. Develop and implement countermeasures in a highly visual way that facilitates culture change within the organization. The entire value-stream mapping process utilizes graphical depictions of limiting factors that all stakeholders can easily visualize. The process is also designed to actively involve all stakeholders in each stage.
Top 8 Benefits of Value Stream Map
Value stream mapping is a lean tool that employs a flow diagram documenting in high detail every step of a process. Many lean practitioners see value stream mapping as the fundamental tool to identify waste, reduce process cycle times, and implement process improvement.
1.Value stream map is quick and easy to learn, and it helps to find bottlenecks.
2. It's a group excersise and therefore can involve your workforce as part of your lean improvement program
3.You can use a completed value stream map as an improvement aide to document transitions to a future state value stream map
4. Its an inexpensive tool - with Edraw, all you need to do is just to drag and drop the shapes in value stream shape libraries.
5. It can be easily critiqued by your workforce (using post it notes) to highlight problems that exist within the process
6. It's not just for manufacturing! Value stream mapping has been used in offices, service industries healthcare etc.
7. It helps portray the process from the start of the production process to the end, this way it finds the waste in the process accurately.
8. It's easy to understand - With a little bit of training on VSM icons - maps are easy to understand conveying powerfull process in a simple pictorial fashion.
Example of Value Stream Map Drawn via Edraw
Best Value Stream Map Software for Linux
Quick Tips for Creating Value Stream Map
Value Stream Mapping
Editable Value Stream Mapping Templates
Easily Learn Value Chains and Value Stream Maps with Pictures