How to Link and Unlink Tasks - Edraw Project
Link & Unlink Tasks
Links are also known as dependencies. It means one task relies on one or more tasks to be performed before it can be done. For example, Task 1 must be completed before Task 2 can begin. In this case, Task 1 is called a Predecessor as it precedes tasks that depend on it. The following task, Task 2, is called a Successor as it succeeds or follows tasks on which it is dependent. To build such a relationship, you have two options:
Use Mouse Click
In the timeline part of Gantt Chart view, click on a task bar (The Predecessor), then hold the mouse and drag it to another task bar (The Successor) to build a relationship.
Use the Link Buttons on the Home Tab
- Select two or more tasks on the list of the Gantt chart.
- Click the Link button on the Home tab.
- To unlink the sequence or relationship between tasks, click the Unlink button on the Home tab.
To Check Whether a Task has Predecessors or Successors
- Go to the Right Side Panel, click Link icon to open Link panel.
- Switch between Predecessors and Successors sheets to view, add or remove corresponding links.
- Editing the duration of linked tasks will automatically adjust their position on the timeline of the Gantt chart.
- Any task can be a predecessor for one or more successor tasks. Likewise, any task can be a successor to one or more predecessor tasks.