How to Edit Resources with Edraw Project
Open Source Window
You have 3 entries to the Resource window where you can set up resources and edit resources.
- Click Edit Resources icon on the Home tab.
- Select any element in the task list. Go to Right Side Panel > Task > Assign Resources section, and click Edit Resources.
- In the Gantt Chart view, select a box in Resources column and click the small triangle button. The Edit Resources option will appear and then you click it.
Edit Resources in Resource Window
The Resource window is where you can set up resources and edit resources. You can adjust the width of each box by dragging the right border of it.
To add a new resource, you can:
- Click Add Row .
- Press Enter on the keyboard.
After a resource is added, you need to define the following information of a resource in the Resource window.
Default Currency Unit
The default currency unit is USD. To change or customize Currency Unit type, you can click the small triangle button and choose the target Currency Unit.
There are five types of Resources and they can be divided into two catalogues.
People to complete the tasks, usually with a cost over time.
Resources that have a fixed cost per unit, including
- Material resources: Consumables used as project proceeds. For example, papers being used to print leaflets.
- Cost resources: Financial cost associated with a task, such as travel expenses, food expenses etc.
- Equipment resources: Equipment to complete the tasks, such as a printer.
- Company resources: Company as a unit to complete the tasks.
You can enter resource names according to your convenience.
Example of Resource Name
Work resource as an identified person.
Work resource as a job function or group
Doctor, Engineer, Teacher
Work resource as an equipment
Truck, Water Pipe
Only when the resource type is Work Resource can you set the Resource Unit, including Max Unit and Unit.
Unit represents the maximum capacity of a work resource to work on assigned tasks. 100% means that the resource is available full-time on each workday. The work time is set in Project Options before you start adding tasks.
If the resource gets allocated to tasks that would require more than his work hours, then the resource is over allocated and Edraw Project will indicate this in red formatting in the Resource Status report.
If a resource is more capable and has higher efficiency than an average level resource whose Unit is 100%, you can enter larger Unit to represent his competence. A 200% Max Unit indicates that the resource does double work in the same working time.>
By default, the Max Unit field is set to 100.
You can set Standard Rate and Cos Per Use for work and non-work resources. You can also enter Overtime Rate for work resources.
- Standard Rate: Calculated on time unit basis, such as per day, per hour, per week and per month.
- Cost Per Use: The cost that accrues each time a resource is used. It is added each time a work resource unit is assigned to a task and does not vary with the amount of time you use the resource.
- Overtime Rate: The rate of pay for overtime work performed by a resource.
- Edraw Project calculates the cost of a project by adding up the cost of resources allocated in all tasks.
- Cost Per of non-work resources is calculated only once.
Divide Resources into Groups
Grouping enables you to view rolled-up summary information of resources allocated to a task. Once you have entered a new group, the group name will appear in the drop-down menu.
Add Notes to Resources
You can add a note to include additional or supporting information of a resource.
Assign Resources to Task
Once the tasks list and resources are complete, resources need to be assigned to tasks in order to carry out the tasks. Edraw Project supports to track task progress, resource status and task costs.
There are two ways to assign resources to a task.
You can assign resources to a task one by one,
- In Gantt Chart view, go to the Resources column.
- Click the box below the Resources column for the task you need the resource to be assigned.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the name of the resource you need.
If you need to allocate multiple work resources to a task, you can:
- Select the task.
- Go to the Assign Resources section on Right Side Panel.
- Click the group name to allocate all resources in a group to the selected task.
You can select multiple resources to work on a single task. A work resource can be assigned to multiple tasks.