Create ER Diagram on Mac Easily
Entity relationship diagram (ERD) is a kind of diagram for presenting visually the structure of relational database. In this tutorial, we will show you an easy and effective way to create ER diagram with Mac ER Diagram Software.
Open a Blank Canvas
On the File menu, point to New.-> Click Database, and then double click the icon of Chen ERD or Martin ERD.
Add ER Diagram Shapes
Drag and drop shapes from ERD libraries to the canvas. Drag the green square handles to resize shapes.
You can use Same Size tool under Home tab to make several shapes the same size quickly.
Format ER Diagram Shapes
Change a shape's color and outline by choosing any quick style in the Styles group under the Home tab.
Right-click shapes to set the attributes of each object. Every ERD shape has some underlying data, or attributes. These attributes specify the appearance of the shape, as well as additional data associated with the shape. Right-click the shape and click Define Shape Data to view and change the main attributes in the shortcut menu.
Connect ER Diagram Shapes
There are 2 ways to connect ERD shapes.
- The built-in ER Diagram shapes are designed with connection points that allow auto connection. Drag connectors from Relationship library to connect shapes. Drag the beginning point of the connector to the first shape and drag the arrow of the connector to a connection point of the second shape. The connector endpoints turn red when the shapes are connected.
- You can also use the Connector tool under Home tab to connect shapes manually.
You can change the connector type by right-clicking the connector and then clicking the type you want in the shortcut menu.
To add a background, go to Page Layout tab and then:
- Click a color for colorful background.
- Click Choose Background to select a predefined background.
- Click Remove Background if you don't like the added background.
- Switch to View tab and then click Background View to edit and personalize the background.
Add ER Diagram Contents
- Double click a shape to type in text.
- Press Ctrl + 2 to add more text boxes. Press Ctrl + shift + 2 to adjust text box.
- Choose a different font under Home tab. Customize the size, color and alignment by clicking the relevant menus.
- As for a text box of a connector, drag the yellow control point to move it quickly.
Change ER Diagram Theme
By changing ER Diagram theme, you can enhance fill, line and text style altogether at 1 click.
Go to Page Layout tab, select another theme.
Save or Export ER Diagram
Click Save on File tab to save as the default format. Choose Save as on File tab to save as other formats.
You can choose to save in local files or save in your Cloud. Saving it in Team Cloud can share it with more people.
Hit Export & Send under File to export the ERD as images, presentation slides and web documents and so on.
Print ER Diagram
- To preview your document, click File tab and then choose Print.
- To view each page, click the arrows below the preview.
- TIP: To magnify the image of the document, use the zoom slider below the preview.
- To go back to your document and modify it before printing, click the top left arrow.
If the drawing page is larger than the print paper, the drawing will be printed on more than 1 paper.
To print it on only 1 paper,
click More Print Setup... and then choose Fit to.
Here are some ERD examples. They can help you get inspired and get started quickly.
Download ER Diagram Software and Try its Powerful Features for free: