What's a Program Flowchart? - Definition & Examples
This article will introduce the program flowchart definition from many aspects and hope it will help programmers in future program flowchart drawing.
Program Flowchart Definition
Program flowchart is a diagram that uses a set of standard graphic symbols to represent the sequence of coded instructions fed into a computer, enabling it to perform specified logical and arithmetical operations. It is a great tool to improve work efficiency. There are four basic symbols in program flowchart, start, process, decision and end. Each symbol represents a piece of the code written for the program.
Start event symbol signals the first step of a process.
Process is a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end.
Decision is the action or process of deciding something or of resolving a question.
End event symbol stands for the result of a process.
Steps to Create Program Flowcharts
- Drag relevant symbols of program flowchart and drop them on the page.
- Drag relevant vector symbols and drop them on the page.
- Text information into right symbols.
- Connect the steps with arrow according to their correct order.
- Complete and check the programming flowchart.
The purpose of program chart is making complex program easy and readable, which means you should confirm your core topic and state it simply with several steps.
Each symbol has its own function within the program, flowchart will not work if there is a wrong symbol.
Single key words or short phrases will make flowchart much clear and concise.
You can connect the shapes one by one or click the floating button which saves a lot of time.
After completing the program flowchart, check it before carrying it out to find if there is any bug.
Below is a program flowchart example for you.
Benefits of Program Flowchart
The advantages of program flowchart are as follows:
- Program flowchart can help programmers to find the bug in the process before carrying out.
- It works as a blueprint when analyzing the systems and developing programs, which makes coding more efficient.
- It improves programmers’ efficiency in maintaining the operating program.
- With the help of program flowchart, communicating the logic of a system to all concerned gets much easier.
Software for Program Flowchart Drawing
Edraw Flowchart Maker is the ideal software to create program flowchart.
- It offer users an all-purpose toolkit to design various program flowcharts, which meets the demand of different programmers.
- It provides users with abundant editable flowchart examples and templates, they can use those built-in examples and templates, or make changes to create new ones.
- Smart drawing of it enables users to connect, align and space shapes automatically. Once starting a shape, users can click the floating buttons to finish the rest, which improves the work efficiency dramatically.
Program Flowchart Examples
Following are some program flowchart examples taken from daily life for your reference, which is interesting and can be understood effortlessly. Click program flowchart examples to view more examples if any interest.