Create Data Flow Diagram on Mac
Drawing a data flow diagram by hand is time and energy-consuming. Formatting in Visio is cumbersome, too. That stops now. We are going to show you how to do it in a simple and easy way.
Open a Data Flow Diagram Template
To create a new data flow diagram, click File tab, point to New.-> Click Flowchart, and then double click the icon of Data Flow Diagram.
Add Data Flow Diagram Shapes
Drag and drop shapes from the Data Flow Diagram library onto the canvas to represent external sources, states, or entities involved in the data flow you are documenting. Drag the green square handles to resize shapes.
You can use Same Size tool under Home tab to let several shapes have the same size quickly.
Indicate the Flow of Data
Indicate the flow of data in your diagram with Center to center shapes.
The built-in data flow shapes are designed with connection points that allow auto connection.
- From Data Flow Diagram Shapes library, drag a Center to center shape onto the canvas. Place it near the two shapes between which you want to show the flow of data.
- To change the direction of the arrow, click Rotate & Flip under Home tab, and then choose H Flip or V Flip.
- Drag the end and beginning point of Center to center shape to a connection point(blue X) of each shape. The endpoints turn red to indicate that the shapes are connected.
- To change the arrow curvature, drag the yellow control point.
Similarly, indicate data loops using Loop on center shapes.
You can also use the Connector tool to connect shapes manually.
To add a background, go to Page Layout tab and then:
- Click a color for colorful background.
- Click Choose Background to select a predefined background.
- Click Remove Background if you don't like the added background.
- Switch to View tab and then click Background View to edit and personalize the background.
Add Data Flow Diagram Contents
- Double click a shape to type in text.
- Press Ctrl + 2 to add more text boxes. Press Ctrl + shift + 2 to adjust text box.
- Choose a different font under Home tab. Customize the size, color and alignment by clicking the relevant menus.
- Drag the yellow control point to move text box quickly.
Change Data Flow Diagram Theme
By changing Data Flow Diagram theme, you can enhance fill, line and text style altogether at 1 click.
Switch to Page Layout tab, select another theme.
Save or Export Data Flow Diagram
Click Save on File tab to save as the default format. Choose Save as on File tab to save as other formats.
You can choose to save in local files or save in your Cloud. Saving it in Team Cloud can share it with more people.
Hit Export & Send under File to export the DFD as images, PowerPoint slides and web documents and so on.
Print Data Flow Diagram
- Click File tab and then choose Print. A preview of your document automatically shows.
- To view each page, click the arrows below the preview.
- TIP: Use the zoom slider below the preview to magnify the image of the document.
- To go back to your document and make changes before you print it, click the top left arrow.
If the drawing page is larger than the print paper, the drawing will be printed on more than 1 paper.
To print it on only 1 paper,
click More Print Setup... and then choose Fit to.
Here are some DFD examples. They can help you get inspired and get started quickly to create fishbone diagrams.
Give Edraw Data Flow software a shot. Download and try it for free.